Sunday, June 10, 2012

OLDIES AND THE NEW TECHNOLOGY



There was really never any doubt about it in the long term and despite an admittedly rather slow early learning curve, it can plausibly be claimed that the Older Generation has come to terms with the New Technology. By “the Older Generation” I mean anybody over 60 and for the “New Technology” read personal computers, internet communication, mobile phones and all the attendant gewgaws which make our simple lives so baffling and expensive.

By saying that we Oldies had come to terms with these novelties, I choose my words carefully. We do not much love or embrace the New Technology. We observe goggle-eyed the manifold conveniences it brings, have a vague working knowledge of how it basically works but we sigh nostalgically for earlier and easier times.

Our own grandparents took a frivolous view of high tech progress. Typical was their amusement at the fantastic contraptions drawn by Heath Robinson in the 1930s like the head-wart remover, steam-driven and accomplishing its outlandish purpose via a complex system of weights and pulleys. The Second War forced us to take technology seriously and many great advances flowed through. Yet for our parents and in our own youth there were some relatively fixed points. To communicate privately we used pen, ink and paper to write and post eloquent or chatty letters at red pillar-boxes and we used a fixed line telephone. These objects are rapidly becoming antiquarian curiosities and to preserve their memory I attach photographs.

Pen, Ink and Paper
                                               
A Rotary Dial Telephone


The world of business spawned a multitude of gadgets and machines. Colossally expensive mainframe computers were the province of the largest companies but this was a world away from the modest commercial sector, whose technology amounted to possession of a typewriter and various mechanical calculating machines.

A Typewriter
A Curta Calculator
                                  

My boss in my early banking days was extremely proud of his Curta Calculator, resembling a pepper-mill. You aligned numbers on slides round the machine drum, cranked once for addition, pushing forward and cranking for subtraction and other carriage-shifting for multiplication and division. It was effective, if slightly comical, German in origin and derived from pin-wheel machines first seen in the 18th century.

By the 1980s all these things were obsolescent. Computers downsized, micro-processors and miniature chips made them commercially commonplace. In time the dam broke completely, standards and protocols were established, incompatibilities overcome, the Internet was born, Broadband proliferated and the World-Wide-Web allowed anyone to communicate anywhere. The pace of change has been dizzying and continues unabated.

In 1993, aged 51, I left the protective womb of my banking employer, teeming with secretaries and young “techies” and I had to cope with this Revolution myself. First I had to learn to type and, a late developer, I soon bought my first personal computer. Thank goodness I had three keenly computer-literate sons as without their generous help I would have been totally lost. Over the years I have made hundreds of anguished pleas to them or disturbed them with late night phone-calls whenever I got stuck – usually quickly resolved by a single forgotten key-stroke. Now and then there have been slightly uncharitable mutterings about my incipient Alzheimer’s or my moronic anxieties – probably all Oldies suffer such occasional barbs. An Oldie friend tells me his supportive children refer to him as a “techno twit”, probably typically enough, if a tad unkind.

There remains a generational gap between the Oldies and the rest of the cyber-space population. Some of it is just down to age; we boring Oldies are not much interested in pop music blaring from unexpected sources or in noisy games more suited to an amusement arcade than a family sitting-room. It is just a matter of taste as I admit to playing Mozart on our I-Pod (wearing ear-phones) and I will often have a gentle round of golf on our Nintendo Wii with my lovely wife.

A greater divide is the vexed matter of privacy. I do not want to be on permanent call and am quite happy to turn off my PC or mobile phone. Most matters can wait the dawn of a new day, and we Oldies surely have plenty of time on our hands. I cannot understand the urge to reveal all on Facebook. By all means exchange social chit-chat and opinions but some Facebook users are clearly obsessional and exhibitionist. I can just about understand someone wanting to share an experience like visiting Chichen Itza or walking on the Great Wall of China but news that they are devouring a burger at the Walsall branch of MacDonald’s is banality in spades. I am also chary about revealing my whereabouts in case Sony send up an unmanned drone to zap my Wi-Fi.

The all-powerful Smartphone

It is also apparent that sitting for hours in front of a TV monitor is deeply unsociable, a solitary vice practised by a vast monkish Order, the TechnoTrappists. Caught up in one’s own interests, endlessly seeking information, forever reading or writing emails means you are not sharing your life with your partner or your family. This is surely no way to live and yet it is a very common phenomenon. Now that the focus seems to be shifting from the laptop to the all-powerful Smartphone, there is no sadder sight than to see people constantly hunched over a phone texting their contacts, self-absorbed and alienated. I say regulate and ration use of these machines and break the shackles of their enchantment. Technology is our slave and we are its master, not the other way round. Oldie or youngster, stay always connected with the real world, converse, think, share, laugh, dream and dare – in short, Get a Life!

SMD
10/06/2012

Copyright Sidney Donald 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment