Wednesday, August 6, 2014

STUT-TUTT-TUTTERING ON



One of the few misfortunes slightly to darken my otherwise very happy life was that from the age of about 6 until I was 16, I was afflicted by a pronounced stammer making me, in PG Wodehouse’s phrase, sound like “a soda syphon trying to recite Gunga Din”. No doubt the causes of this stutter lay in some dark and long forgotten childhood neurosis, but in any event I muddled through, probably giving more excruciating embarrassment to my listeners than to myself and I am now quite offensively fluent.


A stutterer quickly learns some devious stratagems. My most dreaded words were those beginning with a “k” or a hard “c” and I carefully avoided having to say “cacophony” or “culinary”. The nightmare scenario would have involved reading aloud “King Kong cooks cabbage” but this unlikely combination mercifully never actually appeared. As a compensation of some kind, I enjoyed singing, where nobody ever stutters, and I also took to writing essays, quietly amusing myself but perhaps boring the pants off others, as at this very moment!


Stuttering is quite common – I am always surprised by how many of my acquaintances say “me too” when I talk of my youthful stuttering days. There is indeed a kind of freemasonry between stutterers. I much softened my attitude towards Ed Balls on learning he had been a fellow sufferer and we are in royal company too with the Stuart dynasty’s James I, Charles I and James II all stammering and, PG again, “making a sizzling sound like a cockroach calling to its young”. Most famously George VI was hopelessly tongue-tied until he was coached by the maverick Australian therapist Lionel Logue and given confidence by his feisty wife and future Queen Elizabeth.

A Stutter conquered - George VI

Demosthenes

Some famous orators have been stutterers too. The great Athenian statesman Demosthenes (384-322 BC), was considered alongside Cicero to be one of the greatest orators of the Ancient World. His Philippics denouncing Philip of Macedon were a high-point in rhetoric; yet Demosthenes in his youth had a speech impediment and he was said to have benefitted from filling his mouth first with marbles before declaiming – which sounds rather drastic.


It is wrong of me to make light of stuttering for it can bring pain, anxiety and humiliation to sufferers. I remember a school friend who stammered terribly and he stamped his feet violently trying to extract the right word; he prospered later as a civil engineer. Another friend could hardly enunciate a single phrase with any coherence. Meeting him years later, he still stumbled but he was master of his trade. He happily sold the retail business his wife and he had created for many millions. 


A role model for stutterers might be a businessman I knew called Roy Withers. He had a very pronounced stammer, contorting every sentence he spoke and it stayed with him all his life. He earned a first in engineering at Cambridge, became managing director of the Davy Corporation and then became chairman and a leader of the buy-out of shipbuilder Vosper Thornycroft, a very successful enterprise. Before taking the chairmanship he frankly spoke of his stammer and said he would understand if the company’s backers rejected his candidacy on that account. Yet Roy was such an acute entrepreneur, such a clear thinker and such a patently honourable man that he had irresistible appeal. An accomplished golfer and a fine painter, he embodied the best qualities of an English gentleman. A happy memory of Roy was his huge pleasure as my bank’s guest at the Last Night of the Proms lustily singing Land of Hope and Glory with no trace of a stutter.



SMD
6.08.14
Text Copyright © Sidney Donald 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment