Wednesday, May 20, 2015

GETTING UNSTUCK



Two months ago I wrote a piece “Getting Stuck” confessing I had failed to complete reading Middlemarch by George Eliot and had given up after a modest 150 pages. I am happy to be able to report that, after reviving myself with re-reading two of my favourite political biographies, I returned to Middlemarch and completed its 838 pages yesterday with much satisfaction, tinged with a dash of exasperation.

George Eliot (Mary Anne Evans)

Those readers who responded to my original article were unfailingly polite and sympathetic; they talked of their own problems with Cervantes, Dostoyevsky, Melville, Gibbon and Victor Hugo. One Scots candid friend told me that Virginia Woolf (herself an opaque writer in my view) had declared that Middlemarch was “one of the few English novels written for grown-up people”. As for my labelling heroine Dorothea Brooke “a prig”, he countered by claiming that Dorothea was “just about the sexiest heroine in Victorian literature” – an epithet to which I would not subscribe! He said he was about to dilate upon my immaturity but generously retreated out of respect for my reaching my 50,000 pageview hits target, as many of my pieces had amused him. He said we did not agree much on politics, religion, the American Way or the British public school system but despite this formidable catalogue we remain warm friends. There is no doubt that he stung me into action as did those silent readers, many of whom I know to have literary interests, whose reproaches were all the more cutting for being silent! So to Middlemarch I returned.


Middlemarch, published in 1872, is by common consent a great novel – some say the greatest of all English novels. Its sweep is broad, describing the fictional Midlands town of Middlemarch during the run-up to the Great Reform Bill from 1829-32. The various sectors of society are described, landowners, manufacturers, professionals, tradesmen and rustics. The action revolves around the love of Dorothea Brooke, first married to the desiccated scholar Casaubon, for the enigmatic Will Ladislaw but extends to the ambitious doctor Tertius Lydgate, who marries pretty but shallow Rosamond Vincy. The love of Fred Vincy for plain but admirable Mary Garth and the ruin of Methodist banker Bulstrode at the hands of sinister John Raffles provide diverting sub-plots and a rich gallery of subsidiary characters.


Eliot writes best I believe in her depiction of the marriage of Dr Lydgate with Rosy Vincy, her self-centredness and his weak submission ending his hopes in frustrated disappointment. The central romance between Dorothea and Will is well described but quite what the attractions of Will are I find hard to discern, though he does have artistic and journalistic flair. Dorothea, with her high aspirations and scrupulous emotions, would in my opinion have been much better off with Lydgate, supposing he had the courage to dump Rosy, if that had been possible. I still reckon Dorothea to be an exasperating prig, who would drive any normal man potty, and my lack of sympathy for her is my main obstacle to unconditional enjoyment of the novel.  


George Eliot herself was much braver than her heroine Dorothea. She lived in sin for 20 years with married philosopher George Lewes and made no secret of her free-thinking opinions. In time she was accepted by Victorian society and this “horse-faced blue-stocking” in Henry James’ ungallant phrase, took her place among the finest of English novelists. I am glad I got unstuck and finished reading her masterpiece.


SMD
20.05.15
Text Copyright © Sidney Donald 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment