Wednesday, August 10, 2016

WRITTEN FOR CHILDREN



I am currently reading The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame first published in 1908 and my 1983 version is adorned by excellent line drawings by the artist Hargreaves. You will say that surely I mean “re-reading” but no, this is my very first time. You may think I have left it a bit late at age 74 and perhaps I am entering my second childhood, but there are other classic children’s books I have yet to read, notably Alice in Wonderland, which I plan to get round to, d.v., before I turn up my toes.

Ratty and Mole go messing about in boats
Children’s books are often very good value, with vivid characters, quick-fire plots, elements of fantasy and the ultimate triumph of Virtue, so reassuring to the young. The adventures of Ratty, Mole, Toad and Badger also evoke nostalgia for a long-past River Thames and the animals do not stumble too far into Disneyesque cuteness. Anyhow, I think the book is great.


My first memory of books is my mother reading to me the Beatrix Potter tales of Peter Rabbit (“and don’t go into Mr McGregor’s garden”) and Jemima Puddle-duck (“what fine whiskers you have!”) and of course in turn we read them to our children.



                          
What joy these tales brought to generations of youngsters! Readers will have their own favourites. My childhood was in the 1940s-50s era and it was the heyday of Enid Blyton. We voraciously read the Five Stories (later dubbed the Famous Five) chronicling the activities of Julian, Dick, George(ina), Anne and Timmy the dog. We were equally taken by the Adventure series – the Island of Adventure etc – starring Philip, Jack, Dinah, Lucy-Ann and Kiki the Parrot. Enid Blyton was safe and cosy, with descriptions of picnics and beds as well as occasional dramas. Blyton was not much admired by teachers and has been criticised for her middle-class values but we lapped her up, reading our first real books and I only feel gratitude towards her.


The Five Series
The Adventure Series
   
My knowledge of poetry was pretty shaky, depending on classics like When we were very Young and Now we are Six by A.A. Milne, illustrated by E.H. Shepard introducing Christopher Robin and Winnie-the-Pooh. As for the classics, a process of osmosis made them familiar, children’s versions, “told in pictures” and some were memorable films. So R. L. Stevenson’s Kidnapped thrilled us with David Balfour battling against wicked Uncle Ebenezer, betrayed by Captain Hoseason and rescued by mysterious and brave Alan Breck, pursued relentlessly across the Highlands by the Redcoats and finally coming into his birthright. The same treatment was given to Oliver Twist (not really a children’s book) in an abbreviated version, both lavishly illustrated by the great Dundee-based artist Dudley D. Watkins. Yet that book was packed with memorable characters appealing to children, Mr Bumble the Beadle, The Artful Dodger and the villainous Fagin.


Children’s versions gave me the hang of Treasure Island, Gulliver’s Travels and Pilgrim’s Progress and soon enough I was able to fly solo and read adult books with ease and pleasure.


In many ways, our children have had an even better selection than we had. Paddington Bear made his first appearance in 1958, the creation of Michael Bond, now 90. The splendid Paddington Bear stories mainly date from 1960-80 and a charming statue to this Peruvian animal now graces the railway station. 1968 saw the advent of The Wombles of Wimbledon, who flourished until 1976. I recall taking my two eldest, teeny-weenies then, to a Wombles show at a West End theatre and I have never heard such an ear-splitting racket, my curiosity about Uncle Bulgaria and Orinoco quickly faded!


A really remarkable talent, Roald Dahl, published his Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in 1964, featuring Willy Wonka which became a global phenomenon, followed by favourites BFG in 1983 and Matilda in 1986. He enchanted with his combination of fantasy and thrills. The most successful author of them all is J.K. Rowling whose Harry Potter adventures have broken all records. I have only read two myself but I found them inventive, page-turning and literate – their success is wholly deserved – and I love Quidditch!


Dahl's Matilda by Quentin Blake



Harry Potter's first game of Quidditch

While the British contribution to children’s literature is massive, America has a wonderful tradition too. A procession of classics from the ladies starts with Louisa May Alcott’s Little Women (1868), What Katy Did (1872) by Susan Coolidge, Little Lord Fauntleroy (1886) and The Secret Garden (1911) both by Frances Hodgson Burnett and Pollyanna (1913) by Eleanor Porter. The books have spawned films, plays and all manner of media spin-off. I believe the finest American contribution of all is the dazzling Dr Seuss series, clever, witty and original. I used to love reading to my children I had Trouble in getting to Solla Sellew (1965) – I think they loved it too, that mutual reciprocation being one of the many joys of children’s literature.


Dr Seuss' Solla Sellew
   

SMD
10.08.16

Text Copyright © Sidney Donald 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment