Monday, July 6, 2020

PAST AND PRESENT




The Past – I acknowledge that I live in it, as do maybe most soon-to-be 78-year-olds. It stimulates me with memories of long-gone parents, their expressions, their advice and their particular ways still giving me grateful delight. My two fine brothers are happily going strong - what profound memories they generate too - and my old friends continue to amuse, surprise, support and charm me. Above all, my lovely wife and three great sons have been the foundation of my happiness on life’s rocky road. Yes, the Past is often a good place to be. Kind Nature ensures that my memories are almost all of the most agreeable kind!


I had the good fortune to have a privileged education and my passion was the study of history. Yet I am dismayed, when I waste my time watching daytime TV quiz shows, that while most contestants’ have an encyclopedic knowledge of pop groups or soap stars, their knowledge of history is precisely nil. They are ignorant of famous dates like the war years – 1914-18 and 1939-45 – and Churchill’s name elicits an embarrassed shuffling and vacant looks. They cannot even name the King before our illustrious present Queen. Then I remembered that until decimalisation in 1971, we carried our history about in our trouser pockets. Every old penny from Victoria, through Edward VII, George V, George VI to Elizabeth II, with a head image and a minting date also helpfully provided. So, we oldies had, I suppose, an unfair advantage.
George V
Edward VII

George VI
        
  
 
    









                               

More seriously, an appreciation of history gives us so much more insight into who we are, where we are and what we are seeing with our own eyes. I have had enormous pleasure visiting and revisiting the 40 or so City of London churches (St Mary Woolnoth my favourite) and driving around the country to see many of England’s incomparable parish Churches (Burford my ideal) or relishing the stunning sight of England’s ancient cathedrals (especially majestically Romanesque Durham). If you are clutching an informative guide-book, so much the better.


It is not just our historical eyes that lift us, it is also our tongues. What a wonderful language we have, developing from the golden age of Thomas Cranmer’s Book of Common Prayer (1552) to The Authorised Version of the Bible (1611) to the release of Shakespeare to the world in the First Folio (1623)! The English and American language in inspiring poetry, in sonorous history and in muscular, imaginative prose, just gives and gives over the centuries.

Lovely St John the Baptist, Burford, Oxfordshire
          

                                                     Majestic Durham Cathedral

These buildings and this literature are our birthright and reinforce our sense of identity. Moving on to the Present, we face many challenges. Plague and pestilence have unexpectedly beset us and we are emerging very gingerly from Lockdown after a heavy global death-toll. Our world still tears itself apart, with brutal civil war in Syria, and China’s appalling persecution of her Uighur minority. The purges and Gulag in Russia, Germany’s infamous Final Solution, the genocide of Tutsi by Hutu in Rwanda are remoter memories, but never to be forgotten.


How can we navigate through this maelstrom of horror? The Ancient world tried to help with its Greek axiom carved over the entrance to the sanctuary at oracular Delphi: Gnothi Seauton (Know Thyself) – use your talents and understand your feelings. Shakespeare gives us another angle, from Polonius’ advice to Laertes in Hamlet:


This above all: to thine own self be true
And it must follow as the night the day
Thou canst not then be false to any man.


All this may seem a bit literary and highfalutin so on a more relaxed level let me suggest that the calmest way to face the Present world is the simple philosophy of Frank Sinatra in the song That’s Life:



SMD
6.07.2020
Text Copyright Sidney Donald 2020


.

No comments:

Post a Comment