Thursday, May 20, 2021

DRINK UP!

 

As we all stagger out of Lockdown, trying to dodge the Indian Covid variant and no doubt the next Great Plague too, our habits must adapt to our newly liberated world. The reopening of pubs and restaurants is good news generally, but my tastes in food and drink are a little antique and I am chary of abandoning social distancing quite yet.



    A return to conviviality

 I was fascinated by the recent story of the campaign to save Britain’s 40,000 pubs. It issued a clarion call for all adults to increase their pub spending this year and each consume;

124 pints of beer, or,

122 glasses of wine, or, if teetotal

976 packets of crisps, or

40 roast dinners.

Most of us will at least attempt to do their bounden duty to save our pubs and imbibe with enthusiasm!

The licensed trade campaign actually is not setting very high consumption bars for the habitual drinker (230 or so days left in 2021) – but “all adults” is another matter. I used to drink very regularly and in quantities I reckoned normal, but our alarmist and timid NHS would brand “excessive”. In my dotage, my capacity has tailed off, but I very rarely have an alcohol-free day. Sadly, I now mainly drink at home so I am no great gift to the licensed trade.

As I cautiously peer over the top of my Brexit trench, I consider what wines I should drink. I am reluctant to buy French (although they do produce excellent, if overpriced, stuff) and I can probably do without Italian and German gargles. I may have to make do with Chilean or Argentinian reds supplemented by Antipodean whites – English wine is potable but expensive. I cannot renounce my warming  Spanish sherry, mainstay of my long and idle afternoons.

As for food, I cherish Scotch beef and Welsh lamb, said to be endangered by a prospective free trade deal between the UK and Australia, a substantial meat producer. I guess there is an element of special pleading about this controversy and a deal will materially benefit both countries. All deals are to be welcomed, especially with our Commonwealth brothers, as we rebuild the contacts of Global Britain, no doubt in due course with our European and American cousins too.

Once we escape from Lockdown, how do we amuse ourselves? Large-scale spectator events, like football, cricket and rugby matches, are not attractive to me (much better viewed on the telly) though an English village cricket game, with tea and crumpets, would warm the cockles. I watch far too much afternoon TV and brain-rot is an (non-)occupational hazard. Worst of all, over three nights this week we have the Eurovision Song Contest, long ago seized by the gays and the glitterati. This year it comes from liberal Rotterdam and deadly dud songs, flamboyant flouncers and strobe lighting will invade every house in the land. OMG – popular culture!



                                    Fallen Angel Tix of Norway enchants Eurovision

We idly dream of foreign holidays but that road seems to be strewn with obstacles, quarantines, tests and red, amber and green lists – not to mention bureaucratic confusion, the threat of variants and different rules for different countries. The contradictory voices of “experts” assail us, hopelessly entwining science with politics. The British weather has been particularly unkind, pushing us to flee South and we yearn for the Mediterranean sun or spacious America. At present the human price is too high, what with profiteering airlines, dodgy local infection statistics and lengthy, sweaty arrival queues at Heathrow.

I optimistically hope that these matters will be sorted out in the next few months but our luck could easily be running thin this year. More realistically, we may have to settle for 2 bracing weeks in Skegness, a mystery bus tour to Wolverhampton and a plateful of tepid Cornish pasties!

 

SMD

20.05.21

Text Copyright© Sidney Donald 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment