Tuesday, June 18, 2019

A CHANGE OF SCENE




I have embarked on a 2-month holiday to glorious Greece, where the sun shines reliably and my UK obsession with Brexit can be at least tempered if not entirely eliminated. Greece has her own general election on 7 July likely to bring the curtain down on the 4-year leftie SYRIZA experiment and restore a conservative government under New Democracy leader Kyriakos (“Koulis” to his enemies) Mitsotakis. He is the relatively inexperienced champion of the Mitsotakis/Bakoyannis dynasty – a late father, Konstantinos, Prime Minister, a sister, Dora, ex-Foreign Minister, a nephew, Costas, newly Mayor of Athens. One can only hope the bad old days of serial corruption do not return to blight Greece’s slow recovery……….the long-suffering Greeks deserve much better.


The senior Mitsotakis clan, the late Konstantinos, Kyriakos and Dora
                                     
                               
We flew to Greece by Swiss via Zurich. Swiss is the successor to Swissair which stumbled at the financial crisis and is now a subsidiary of Lufthansa. This is the third time we have used them and our pampered business class journey was excellent and comfortable. It is always striking to me how democratically inclusive European travel is, Brits mixing easily with Germans, French, Swiss, Greeks plus many Americans, Australians and Arabs. We are part of this – but the Swiss, closer cousins than we are to the French and Germans, prosper happily outside the institutions of the EC, as we can too.


Monday was one of the many religious holidays (Pentecost) in Greece, this time celebrating The Holy Spirit. Oddly, only intellectually stretching businesses are closed, banks, lawyers, clinics and so on while supermarkets and “ordinary” shops were open. Anyway, the streets were deserted as most citizens, both spiritual and prosaic, made a bee-line for the beach. Sensible fellows!


One of the joys of holidaying is that you read more than usual. Lately I have been buying popular best sellers, thrillers and so on, to soften the austerity of my usual fare, histories and biographies. In anticipation of Greece, I have almost finished erudite Stephen Fry’s Mythos, a sprightly canter through Greek myth. I have taken to reading Georges Simenon’s Maigret stories, a vast oeuvre but individually mercifully short, perfect for my feeble attention-span. To edify and instruct, I will read 12 Rules for Life by the Canadian savant Jordan Petersen, who seems to have many admirers. I doubt if I will be an easy convert: I recall trying to read William Law’s A Serious Call to a Devout and Holy Life about 55 years ago and my failure to answer the Call is evident to all my friends! After all this, I will read Max Hastings’ tome Vietnam, my sort of book, but inevitably a melancholy and cautionary tale – I hope Donald Trump reads it in case intervention in Iran or Syria tempts him.


The prolific Belgian Georges Simenon
        
As I write, we are having a violent thunder-storm, with intense rain and hail-stones This is not the stereo-typical June day in Athens and I feel sorry for the swim-suit clad tourists who will be bothered and bewildered and have to console themselves with ouzo and hastily-cooked kebabs by the chilly coast. I am sure it will improve soon. I have my favourite sea-side haunts too and I hope to get to matchless Delphi as well as a visit to our cherished island of Samos.


Tonight, my thoughts will be on the Tory leadership race and the elimination process. I do hope Rory Stewart falls by the wayside soon. He no doubt has many merits but he is a Remainer through and through and his political future, if he has one, is in a post-Brexit UK, probably led by Boris Johnson. Enough said.



SMD
18.06.19
Text Copyright © Sidney Donald 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment