Monday, June 2, 2014

A NIGHT AT THE OPERA



I have a heavy confession to make. I have sat through quite a few operas and while I enjoyed some of the music and some of the singing, I would not feel greatly deprived if I never see another. What’s the problem? To name just three, the convention is too artificial, the pieces are too long and the libretti are too absurd to attract me to this much-vaunted form of artistic endeavour.
             
Brunhilde lets them have it
             
Let’s face it, there is scant rationality in people bawling arias at each other as a way to tell a story. If it is done tunefully, it is just about bearable but much of the recitative is garbled and hasty providing no pleasure at all. And the stories themselves! Who can possibly have approved such rubbish? Flying Dutchmen, Japanese prospective brides, Chinese imperial courtiers – the more exotic the better – and do you remember Il Trovatore, serial balderdash involving gypsies, switched babies, mistaken identity and taking poison to avoid the stake?  Too much rigmarole to endure just to hear The Anvil Chorus!


All operas are at least one hour too long (Wagner’s more like 2 hours). I revere Mozart but even lovely Figaro has its longeurs before the glorious reconciliation scene “Contessa perdone”. Mozart achieved perfection as regards timing with the tuneful and bright “Il Seraglio” but it was not quite an opera, rather a Singspiel, and much the better for it. As for Cosi fan Tutti, Don Giovanni and The Magic Flute, I fear I echo Emperor Joseph II “Too many notes, Mr Mozart!”


One of my most trying operatic experiences was Wagner’s Die Walkure at a Berlin opera house in 1959. With a good friend we had hard seats in a remote balcony. I think the opera lasted 5 ½ hours of sheer torture: if the thumping orchestra gave you a break you still received loud and clear the screaming soprano of some well-fed Teutonic diva. I know there is a class of aesthetes calling themselves Wagnerians; Die Walkure cured me of any temptation to join them and the fact that Adolf was a great fan was hardly a recommendation either.


I have had privileged operatic opportunities – Aida in Rome, Fidelio in Vienna, La Traviata in Verona, lots from the old Carl Rosa Company, Sadler’s Wells Opera and Scottish Opera at our then family-owned His Majesty’s Theatre in Aberdeen, later plenty of corporate entertaining at the ENO and Covent Garden in London. Yet if truth be told, my greatest pleasure was from the D’Oyly Carte operettas by Gilbert and Sullivan – like The Mikado, The Gondoliers and Iolanthe, lovely music and brilliant comic libretti. These pleasures were occasionally leavened by Puccini’s fluent La Boheme, Handel’s Semele with stunning static tableaux at the end of each act, Bizet’s Carmen replete with show-stopping numbers and the aforementioned delight Il Seraglio. My brow remains resolutely low!

Timothy Spall as The Mikado
   
The trouble is that you wait so long (or not long enough) for the high-spots. I recall seeing Bizet’s The Pearl Fishers and to my dismay the famous tenor and baritone duet Au fond du temple saint is in Act 1, so you had to tolerate hours of unrelieved subsequent nonsense. In Aida there are great arias and choruses as Pharaoh’s army leaves to fight the Ethiopians (Celeste Aida, Ritorna Vincitor) but it all ends rather dismally hours later among pyramid tombs and self-immolation. 


I will not dwell on modern opera. I once inflicted Britten’s ghastly Billy Budd on my dear parents and it is still on my conscience. What was I thinking? I would not wish Berg’s Wozzeck or Lulu on my worst enemy. Stravinsky’s Oedipus Rex and Bartok’s Bluebeard’s Castle were played in a double bill (I lost forever a girl I once took to the former and I can imagine the horror of the cacophonous latter).


Of course the critics love all this kind of thing and try to persuade us of its merits. Do not be led astray. No doubt many performers were or are talented singers - Maria Callas, Kiri Te Kanawa, Nellie Melba, Pavarotti or Caruso but the flattery lavished on these artistes is usually wholly disproportionate. I much prefer my Night at the Opera to be madcap fun as dispensed by Groucho, Chico and Harpo in their iconic 1935 movie, (with Allan Jones and Kitty Carlisle contributing snippets from Il Trovatore, if you insist).

Opera is Fun with the Marx Brothers 

1.06.14
Text Copyright Sidney Donald 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment